Sunday, January 25, 2009

Prelude to a Kiss

What is it with winter and electricity? There's the awful static cling of pants on tights, the dreadful frizzy hair, and the inevitable "shock" when you touch anything... actually, in a weird (and maybe slightly sadistic) way, I sort of like the shocks- especially in the dark. Something about actually SEEING the tiny flash of light caused by the little jolt coming through my body makes me feel a little like I have a superpower. When I lived in Prague, my heat went out for about a month at one point; I slept every night in multiple pairs of pajamas underneath EIGHT layers of sheets, towels, and blankets. One night, there were so many "sparks" of electricity when I rolled over, I seriously thought that my bed might catch on fire!
Anyway, I do this a LOT... the shocking, I mean. It doesn't matter what I touch, I've come to expect the accompanying jolt. The only one that really bothers me, though, is when I kiss Rob. My big, tough husband is apparently quite delicate in the facial area, and I've seen him literally jump back from me a few too many times this winter. Usually with a disgusted scowl, which is not exactly the look I want to see after I plant one on him! It hurts my feelings more than my lips! I've finally started remembering to touch his arm or chest with my hand, discharging the electricity before I reach up for a smooch. It's kind of funny, really, but a little frustrating too! Ok, a lot frustrating...
As for my so-called 24-hour stomach bug last week... it turned out to be more like a six-day stomach flu! I lost 9 lbs from Monday-Friday and by the end of the week I had to get 1.5 liters of fluid through an IV. It was pretty miserable, to say the least. I was out of work for four days, and didn't get to enjoy the break at all! Ugh!!
I just registered for another 5K. I can't remember if I've shared here that I'm training to run the Country Music 1/2 Marathon in April. The training runs have been good so far, but brisk! It was 31F yesterday morning when my friend, Rachel, and I started, and only 33F by the time we finished. Brrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

No comments: