Sunday, August 07, 2005

Currently homeless

God has given me so much to be thankful for. Although I still don't know "why", I know that He brought me to Atlanta for this time in my life, and it has been a sweet season of spiritual renewal so far.
The hardest part of moving, though, has been finding a new church home. I've been in a different church every Sunday for the past month, and still haven't found one that feels like home. Not even a little bit. Deer Creek Community Fellowship (back in Fort Worth) spoiled me. I've never really been a fan of mega-churches, or even large churches, but I thought that maybe if I found one with a good singles group and lots of people my age I could get over that. A shepherd is suppossed to know his sheep, though, and I don't want to be just a member of another church where my pastor won't know my name or recognize me in the grocery store. Also, I want to meet friends who share my passions & feelings about the church being a community of believers who treat one another like family.
And while I'm getting some of these things off my chest, can anyone explain to me how fancy light shows and smoke machines are suppossed to bring me closer to Jesus? Three out of four churches had one or both of those things! And I don't understand it. People feel the need to make the church more "seeker-sensitive" and appealing to non-believers, but when did Jesus and the Cross stop being enough? Do we really need a gimmick?
You might have guessed that this is something I'm really struggling with. I stayed in this morning and had a great time with the Lord, just me & Him, and tried out another church tonight, but these feelings were reinforced again. I know that I need fellowship with other believers, and I don't enjoy being a visitor week after week. Please pray for me that I'll find a church to call "home" soon!

1 comment:

Glo said...

I am praying you find a church home soon. It is amazing to what lengths churches will go to get people in the door. In all their attempts at growing their church they tend to lose sight of the cross. Hang in there Jess!