Thursday, August 18, 2005

Lessons

I'm learning a lot about relying on God for everything- to be my comfort, my friend, my strength... Until this past week, I was totally content, and the Lord consistently reminded me that my joy comes from Him, not from the things He's given me. I see now how I've let other things get in the way of that contentment. My times with Him are becoming more stable and more frequent. He's teaching me the meaning of the statement "You're all I need." For example, a few nights ago I was at the gym- feeling pretty tired and cranky- and I couldn't focus on my music or the book in front of me (while I rode a bike). I finally put it all away and spent the rest of that time praying and trying to clear my head. I was able to get a grip and found myself in a better frame of mind. It seems so simple, and I'm ashamed that some of these lessons seem so new and fresh to me.
Right now I think my biggest struggle/dilemma is knowing how actively I should be looking at my options for the future, or if I should just sit back and wait for God to put something in front of me. Should I be patient or pro-active? I have a hard time trusting my own discernment most of the time. I need some direction, even if it's just as simple as "wait" or "explore the possibilities".
In the midst of the confusion, though, I know that God is still good. He brought me to this place, and He will not leave me alone. It may not be the most comfortable situation all the time, but the Lord is drawing me closer to His side, and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

No comments: