Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Fun Stuff

PAST
I meant to tell you sooner-- one of our last big events at the BCM was a Pie Auction. It wasn't what you expect though... the winner of each auction item had the option to take their pie home to enjoy, OR smash the pie into the face of whoever brought it!! All of our leaders and staff participated, and we raised over $2000! Yes, even I got a face full of coconut cream pie, but I'm pretty proud that I brought in the biggest purse at $270! I got to smash one too- you should try it sometime. It's so much fun!
PRESENT
God has given me a unique ministry opportunity here in Nashville. I was praying about where He wanted me to serve Him, and I heard about Kajal. She's about 4 1/2 years old, from India, and blind; she was brought to Nashville about six weeks ago for surgery to hopefully restore her sight. What an amazing girl! I've started spending one night each week with her and her prospective adoptive family, just offering an extra pair of adult hands to her busy mom. There's so much I want to tell you about Kajal... she loves to sing and swing, and LOVES dancing (spinning around and clapping!), and she's SO much fun to be around! Last night, she did the coolest thing... as soon as I got to their house, "Auntie Jess- color", so I found a coloring book and some markers. Kajal took the marker and carefully ran the tip along the edge of her hand on the paper. "Oh great- what a mess," I thought, "is it really a good idea for a blind girl to be playing with markers?" Then Kajal picked up another marker without a cap, which of course made no mark on the paper. She turned to me and said, "It's dry!" I was amazed- how did she know that?!? Then I realized that she was using her left hand to feel the dampness of the ink on the paper as she colored. Wow- what a smart girl!!! Please pray for Kajal- for her eyes to see again. Jesus used mud and spit to restore a blind man's sight- surely he can use today's medical advances to do it again! Also pray for her adoptive mom- Karthi, dad- Blair, brother- Elijah, and sister- Davey Joy- they're going through some big transitions lately.
FUTURE
I'm going back to New Orleans this weekend... I can't wait to see my family, meet my friend Shannon's twins Chloe Rose and David Michael (born last week), and eat some crawfish! I can't wait!!!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

O wow! What an amazing girl! That's so exciting that you get to work with her!

Jennifer said...

Jess! I'm so jealous!! hehe. That's awesome, I'm so glad that you've found an unique ministry and what an amazing story!

Amy said...

How cool is that about your opportunity with Kajal?!

Pay a visit to CC's for me when you go to N.O.!!

Amy said...

Um, you need to update your blog with a post about recent events...And I want "play by play." :)