Thursday, May 31, 2007

Happy, Happy... Joy, Joy


So... I can't really beat around the bush--

ROB AND I ARE ENGAGED!

Last week when I wrote that we were going to New Orleans for the weekend, he was already scheming to make sure that I would never forget it. Before we ever left, my mom told me that she & my dad had a wedding to go to in the French Quarter on Saturday, and she suggested that Rob & I go down there too, and spend the afternoon walking around while they were at the wedding. It sounded like a fun plan to me, and that's just what we did.

We went to Cafe du Monde and had beignets and coffee, strolled through the French Market, browsed through a few shops and galleries, and walked up & down the streets all around the Quarter- it was a georgeous day to be out and about! We decided to go down to the Riverwalk, since I hadn't been there in years. After a little while there, Rob was ready to leave (he'd just scoped out the perfect place and was ready to ask the big question). We walked back towards Spanish Plaza, and I suggested that we get someone to take our picture in front of the big fountain there, which he readily agreed too. After our quick photo-op, Rob took my hand and led me a few steps away, out of earshot of the kids who'd just taken the picture. He turned me towards him and said a few really sweet things (that I'll keep to myself). Honestly, I just thought he was in a good mood- it didn't occur to me that he was about to drop to one knee and ask me to marry him, and that's exactly what happened! I was laughing and crying all at the same time, and I think I asked him "What are you doing?!" and as I bent down to hug him and say YES, a woman standing nearby realized what was happening and she started screaming. As we stood up, still hugging each other, everyone around cheered and clapped for us. It was so much fun!!! (The first picture is right after I said Yes!)

We met back up with my mom and dad shortly after that, and celebrated over dinner (they both knew Saturday morning that we would have cause to celebrate that night!)I don't think my feet have touched the ground since...

Funny side note- Rob had a moment of panic in the Nashville airport when he was stopped at security to have his backpack searched. He'd had enough fore-thought to write "Engagement Ring!" on one of his business cards in his pocket, and he was able to secretly show that to the TSA agent before they started pulling everything out of his bag- including my ring! Even so, he said he was racking his brain for the right words, just in case he had to propose right there on the spot in the security line. It still would have made for a great story, but I'm glad he was able to wait!

I've said before that I think I'm the luckiest girl in the world- now I KNOW that I am!!! I've got the love of an incredible man, a beautiful ring on my hand, and 92 days to wait all my dreams come true! It's going to be an unforgettable summer!!!


6 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for the play by play! :)

Congratulations! I'm very happy for the both of you!

Sybil said...

hey jess! i am so happy for you. just reading the story made me giggly. make sure you send us the wedding plans as soon as you know. i would love to be there. i miss you!

Glo said...

Congrats again Jess! What a sweet story and sweet memory of your engagement! Enjoy every day...it is a once in a lifetime experience!

glo

Anonymous said...

jesssssssss! i'm so happy for you!!! AHHHH!!!!!! that picture is beautifl and your wedding is going to be amazing and ahhhh i can't say enough. I LOVE YOU! ♥

Amy said...

Okay, I'll give you some time to bask in your happiness, but you do realize that you need to blog about wedding plans, don't you???? :)

auDi tHis woRld said...

Congratulations! I'm super happy for you! Enjoy your engagement and know that it's not as much about preparing for the wedding day as it is about preparing for marriage. Enjoy this season of engagement and let God teach the both of you all that He has in store for you in this time of engagement!

Much love!