Wednesday, August 12, 2009

So, Maybe I'm not as ready as I thought

I got a good, healthy dose of perspective yesterday.

I called my doctor Monday afternoon because I'd been having some cramps in my abdomen since Saturday. They weren't bad and not constant, so I thought maybe it was Braxton-Hicks. I wanted to be sure though (I've never felt a contraction before! How was I supposed to know what it was?) Well, I talked to the nurse and she wasn't quite as reassuring as I'd hoped she would be. They told me I needed to come to their office in the morning to get checked out, and go home and rest in the meantime. I resolved myself not to worry and headed home to put my feet up.

My sister-in-law came over to hang out with me for the evening since Rob was out of town, and she brought me a root beer float from Sonic. Have I mentioned that I love Joanna? We had a fun time catching up and I welcomed the distraction.

Anyway, I went in to see the doctor yesterday morning and instead of her normal, laid-back self, she came in and was all business without even a hello... "Tell me exactly what's going on. Where does it hurt? When did it start?" She totally threw me for a loop when she said, "We need to make sure you're not going into pre-term labor." WHAT?! I didn't know what that would involve, but I knew for sure that 26 weeks was way too early. Fortunately, she started by checking Sydney's heart rate, which was good, and I instantly felt just a little better. (If they'd checked mine at that moment I'm pretty sure it was racing) They did some lab work to send off, and thus began my very long afternoon of waiting.

After what felt like forever, the nurse finally called to tell me that the test came back negative and the labor was false. I cannot describe how relieved I was! I know that if I HAD been in early labor, the doctor could have stopped it and everything probably would have still been fine. But I'm so thankful I don't know what that feels like today.

I've said a lot lately that I'm ready to hold my sweet baby, but I realized yesterday how untrue that is. I want her to hang out right where she is for a while longer. I'll be happy to continue dealing with heart burn and leg cramps, swollen feet and clothes that don't fit from one week to the next if it means that Sydney is ok for now. Stick with me a little while longer, Baby Girl! It'll be worth the wait!

No comments: