Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Already learning & streching

I will give thanks to the Lord with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders. Psalm 9:1

So, this morning I got a lesson in being thankful for all my circumstances. I had plans to meet one of Erin's friends, Amanda, for breakfast. When I went to take a shower, something wierd was going on with the water, ie: there hardly was any! Granted, there was a steady trickle, but definitely not enough to shower. "Great- now what do I do?!" I was about to call Amanda to bail on her (I was in no shape to go out in public without a shower, especially to meet a potential new friend for the first time!), but I really didn't want to cancel. I decided to grab a big coffee mug and bathe African style. After all, I just spent two weeks in the bush, bathing with only a bucket and mug. As I stood there, I couldn't help but laugh to myself. "I expect stuff like this in other countries, but not in America! Thank you, Lord, for using Kenya to prepare me for Atlanta!"

I'm slowly getting settled and adjusted to my new surroundings. Already, though, I've found myself getting caught up in the busy-ness of things I "need" to do, and putting other things before my time with the Lord. I don't want to settle for this; I can't. Thank you for being faithful, God, even when I'm not.