Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Sattelite, in my eyes, like a diamond in the sky... (dmb)

Well, I survived my first day of barista training! It was a little overwhelming and a lot of fun! I made more frappucino's than I can count today, and only spilled one of them all over me (it's harder than it looks to get that stuff out of the blender!) I'll keep training the rest of this week and all next week, and then get certified next Friday. Who knew you had to be certified to make coffee?!?!?
Last night I went to 7/22. (www.722.org if you want to check it out) It's a HUGE bible study for singles in the Atlanta area. I don't know how many people were there, a couple thousand maybe? Anyway, it was more like a rock concert or sporting event- standing room only in the aisles and along the walls, lines out the door for the restrooms, chaos leaving the parking lot... definitely not what I'm used to after Deer Creek, but it was amazing. I kept thinking how cool it was that no matter what had drawn all those people there, they were hearing the Word of God and praising Him. Pretty amazing stuff. The speaker, Louie Giglio, gave a great talk about grace. He used some neat illustrations, and it all sparked a flood of thoughts that keep the wheels in my head spinning well into the night.
The theme of the message was "Grace = God at Work". For it is by grace you have been saved... for it is by [God at work] you have been saved. Something to think about. One particular illustration that got me thinking was- we cannot fathom the sun's brightness, which led to thought that in the same way, the Son is unfathomable because of His brightness. We will never- can never- fully comprehend his righteousness, mercy, or grace. Incredible! I love the sun and the Son, and I really like sun: Son analogies. I can't remember where I heard it, but my favorite is-- As the moon reflects the sun, may I reflect the Son. The moon would be nothing and of no worth to us if not for the sun. In the same way, I would be nothing without Jesus. I wouldn't even be alive! That alone should compel me to action for His glory.
Pray that I would be the moon at Starbucks. I don't want people to look at me and see a girl who moves around a lot or even a religious person. I want people to see Jesus.
For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should NO LONGER LIVE FOR THEMSELVES BUT FOR HIM who died for them and was raised again. 2 corinthians 5:14-15 (emphasis added)
ps- i got a pet!! my friend rosalyn gave me a red & blue beta fish as a housewarming gift! her name is ruby, and yes- her new home has a lid (in case you're concerned)

2 comments:

jason7655 said...

good stuff...
That's pretty cool getting to go hear Gig....you can prob go all the time.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess, I used to love going to 722 when I lived in Atlanta, it's cool that you are able to go now! I've got a bunch of friends there, maybe you saw them, haha, yeah, in the thousands of people!!